Monday 7 May 2012

Merryn's Week Since Ellen Barron

Overall this week has been an improvement from where we were up to before we had the night in Ellen Barron.  Merryn has slept in her cot every night and been settling (for the most part) without breastfeeding.  In fact on Saturday night she had one wake up at 11:30pm, when I gave her a good feed and then she slept through.  I was soooo thrilled.

Of course she then followed that up with waking every hour last night and screaming at me hysterically.

Around 9:30pm last night she was going absolutely nuts and I just curled up into a ball on the bed and felt like we'd achieved nothing at all.  Then Andrew tried his usual technique, which didn't work, and mum was trying to come in and try hers, and I woke up to myself and got back in the game.  I did the first three steps, lie down, good girl, sleep time, and then rubbed her back and shushed her and she responded to me.  Within 15min of in and outs she was fast asleep.

Lesson learnt.  I need to use the techniques I've learnt and maintain control (over myself, I can't control the rest of them).  Last night, after the long week and stress we've had, I was in danger of backsliding.  I'm really glad I didn't.  It was still a long, long night and I was up and down with her.  But we didn't loose ground and are still laying a foundation for when we get back in.

1 Comments:

At 10 May 2012 at 12:28 , Blogger Isabel said...

Sometimes it's really hard not to want to give up, just for a little while, especially when you're sleep deprived. I know from experience with my FX boy that lack of sleep (and all the other stresses) can send you a bit mad! It sounds like you're doing a great job. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home