Thursday 22 March 2012

Learning To Wave

Connor doesn't wave. We've tried to teach him but he just won't do it. He looks, he smiles, but he won't voluntarily lift up his arm and wave.

 If you think about it waving is a kind of wishy washy thing to do and for a little boy who doesn't really know where his body is in the world it wouldn't make any sense. He needs loud noise, firm pressure and sharp movements.

That's why recently I started asking him to high five everyone as they're leaving. It's something he knows how to do and it's is a much clearer action.

Today I think he showed he gets it!

 We were at the doctors and I told him it was time to go. He smiled at me, walked over to the doctor, picked her hand up out of her lap and dropped it, then walked to the door and tried to open it. He knew what I meant and knew what to do. It was so cool!

 I'm learning a lot about my boy as we go along and moments like today remind me to pay attention and speak HIS language. He taught me that a long time ago in Ellen Barron Family Centre when we were doing sleep traing (I tell that story on the 7 month to 12 months page), sometimes I just need a reminder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home