Monday 20 February 2012

Last Week In Review

I've been very slack in the last week.....well not slack exactly, just too busy to blog.  I hit the ground running when we got back from holidays and I've not had time to breath.

Firstly the kids sleeping was terrible last week.  We had multiple nights where Connor woke up crying and then kept going for three plus hours.  Then there were the nights when Merryn decided that 1am was a great time to play and wouldn't settle for hours either.  Some nights I was running between the two of them for hours.

Then there was a full week of activities for Connor.  Monday was playgroup number 1.  This is a standard run of the mill playgroup run by mums.  It's a lovely group that my sister has been going to for years, they do a fabulous job with running activities for the kids and are a lovely group of ladies.  Connor runs around and plays and I get him to sit and eat with the other kids and do whatever activity is being run that day.  He seems to really enjoy it.

Tuesday was the first FECS session.  The OT hadn't met him before so she ran through different activities with him to assess him and I discussed where we were up to with the Psychologist.  It seemed to go very well and the psychologist commented that he seemed really eager to learn.

Wednesday was playgroup number 2.  This is the playgroup run for special needs kids.  It's a small group and has a couple of teachers and an OT who drops in to see how the kids are going.  It's a bit more structured and includes activities specially designed for our special kids.  Connor had been doing really well in this group, getting used to craft and starting to touch things with texture and he loves to paint now.

Thursday and Friday had me running around like a crazy chicken catching up with a heap of other chores that had to be done.  Mum is still staying with us at the moment, so thankfully she was able to help out with kid watching.

Sunday we went to a 1st birthday party.  Connor just ran around in his own little world and didn't really acknowledge anyone else was there.  He seemed happy though.  A few hours before the party he'd spudded backwards off the bed into the bookcase though, so on the way home we decided to get him checked at the emergency room.  There seemed to be some swelling at the back of his head and I didn't want to risk it.  Turns out he was fine, but better to be safe than sorry.

The Melatonin is still going well.  Connor is still taking less than 30min to go to sleep at night.  I'm looking forward to going back to the sleep clinic so I can see if I can dose him with it when he wakes up at 1am and screams for the next 4 hours.  I don't think there is much we can do about the night terrors.  They are usually twice a week at the moment.

Connor is being very sweet and loving as usual (he's crawled up onto my lap while I'm typing).  He's lovely with his sister and starting to give her things to play with.  There is absolutely no change to his speech however.  He grunts and points and grab things, but he won't use a single word.  It's frustrating for all of us when he wants something.  I'm terrified he will never speak.  Not to mention that he will never progress past the intellect and ability of a two year old.  Seeing him around other kids just makes that fear even greater.  It highlights how far behind other kids he is.  I still dream of a cure, I probably always will.

He loves playing games on the iPhone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home