Thursday 14 July 2016

Fragile X Awareness month - Day 10

If you want to find out more about FX you can go to the Fragile X Association of Australia website. I will be sharing our families story.

FXPOI is a complicated disorder. Although it is said to cause infertility and menopause, it can suddenly and without warning allow an egg to be released. In rare cases women have gotten pregnant after 20 years of being told they were infertile.

In my case I was told I was in menopause after I had my second baby. We were doing tests to figure out what to do next when I unexpectedly fell pregnant. I'd had no period, I still had all the menopause symptoms, it was completely out of the blue. It was a bittersweet time, although I really wanted another baby, we now had to wait 15 weeks to find out if our third baby also had FX.

And although there are those who would be shocked we also had to talk about 'what if the baby is full mutation?'. We had to think about if we could handle another FX baby or if we would have to abort. It's not easy raising children with disability and as much as we adore them, the stresses on us physically and mentally are huge.

Thankfully our little Liam got my good X.

https://fragilex.org/fragile-x/fxpoi/ 
http://fragilex.org.au

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home