Monday 4 July 2016

Fragile X Awareness month - Day 4

Me with 2 week old Connor
If you want to find out more about FX you can go to the Fragile X Association of Australia website. I will be sharing our families story.

So how do I (Nyleta) fit into the story? I am what is called a carrier or premutation. What I didn't know until I had already had two children, was that everytime I got pregnant I had a 50/50 chance of passing on a dodgy X chromosome. Which I did, for 2 out of my 3 children.

The other thing I didn't know about was FXPOI. It turns out I'm lucky to have any children at all. Fragile X-associated primary ovarian insufficiency (FXPOI), is one of three known Fragile X-associated Disorders that affect carriers (not full mutation). I started developing this condition in my late 30's, which essentially LOOKS like early menopause and can cause infertility. Some FX carriers are never able to have children at all.

https://fragilex.org/fragile-x/fxpoi/
http://fragilex.org.au

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home