Tuesday 7 October 2014

It's Been A While

It's been a huge 18 months since I managed to get my head around writing on my blog.

Firstly the Doctor and tests were wrong, I wasn't going into early menopause.  Instead I unexpectedly got pregnant.  After months of trying to come to terms with the early menopause diagnosis it was a shock to say the least.  The stress was terrible.  I cried for nearly whole first trimester.  At week 11 I had a CVS done and at week 13 we got the results that the baby didn't have Fragile X.

Then there was the process of what to do with Connor.  The very limited testing that finally got done gave no results at all.  Connor now knows when someone is trying to test him and will often immediately refuse to participate in any meaningful way.  In the end it was recommended we hold him back for a year and once I finally got approval from the ECDP and his Kindy to re-enroll him for another year, that what we went with.

We went through an agonising process to get a drug trial started.  As of the end of January both Merryn and Connor on tiny doses of Sertraline and since July Connor also takes small doses of Minocycline.  I would say we've seen a big improvement with Connor, I'm not so sure about Merryn yet.

The babies birth at the end of December didn't go well and both of us nearly died in the process.  We were in hospital for 3 weeks and it took months for us to recover fully at home.  My depression started to spiral and we had to get help from Disability Services, who thankfully are absolutely wonderful (specifically the FECs staff at Nundah, I've heard not all the offices are as amazing).  I also talked to my counsellor and GP and started low doses of meds myself.  It helped hugely.

At the end of Term 1 I restarted the process of working out what to do about Connor starting prep next year.  As of today I am one more step away of getting him approval to go to a nearby special school.  It's been a nightmare, so if we get blocked at the final step I think I will cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home